Your cart is currently empty.
National Kidney Foundation
Posted on March 24 2015
Did you know…
• Every 30 minutes, all of the blood in our bodies is filtered through two fist-size kidneys.
• 1 out of 9 people have some form of kidney disease.
• 1 in 3 American adults are currently at risk for developing kidney disease.
• 26 million American adults have kidney disease – and most don’t know it.
• Chronic kidney disease often has no symptoms until it is very far along.
• Kidney disease is the 9th leading cause of death in the United States.
• Every year, kidney disease kills more people than breast and prostate cancer combined.
• Approximately 450,000 Americans are on dialysis.
• Of more than 123,000 Americans currently on the waiting list for a lifesaving organ transplant, over 101,000 need a kidney. Fewer than 17,000 people receive one each year.
• Every day, 12 people will die waiting for a kidney.
• You can live with one properly functioning kidney.
• Each year, more than 6,000 healthy people in the U.S. donate a kidney to someone they know.
• After donating a kidney a person can live the exact same way they lived before donating—a long, healthy, active life with virtually no restrictions at all.
Fortunately, I have been very healthy and active my whole life. In February 2013, after being sick for a few months, I found out I have kidney disease. The doctors and specialists discovered a congenital problem, which I never knew I had. Two days after my first surgery, March 23, 2013 I succumbed to the infection that became systemtic, but due to the grace of God and the amazing medical staff, they were able to revive me and keep me alive. I’ve had 5 surgeries in 2 years and more in my future. This has been a long and challenging road. I have chosen to take this very shocking, difficult situation, give it meaning and transform it into something good. I have become involved with the National Kidney Foundation and will do all I can to raise awareness to the prevention and treatment of kidney disease.
I'm hosting our 1st annual RENAL RENDEZVOUS benefiting the NATIONAL KIDNEY FOUNDATION on Friday, April 24, 2015. We plan on this event growing bigger and better each year! We will be holding silent auctions and bag raffles, along with other fun activities, as long as offering BRAVELETS for sale. We are depending on the added support of our friends.
This will be my second year participating in the Kidney Walk in Cincinnati, OH.
I will continue to do all I can to help others afflicted with kidney disease.
Thank you for considering my request.